The number of older adults at risk of and currently experiencing homelessness has increased rapidly in recent years, a trend that is projected to continue and further accelerate. Older adults at risk of or experiencing homelessness have unique needs compared to other populations experiencing homelessness. This report gives an overview of the population of older adults at risk of or experiencing homelessness and what services and supports are available to serve them. The report examines these topics with attention to what is known about racial and ethnic groups disproportionately impacted by homelessness. In addition, the report highlights the challenges older adults face in accessing the assistance available; innovative practices, especially those implemented during the COVID-19 pandemic, and potential policy options for better serving this population.
This research was conducted under contract between HHS/ASPE’s Office of Behavioral Health, Disability, and Aging Policy (BHDAP) and Westat. Additional research in this area is available at the ASPE Homelessness & Housing page.
*This content is in the process of Section 508 review. If you need immediate assistance accessing this content, please submit a request to Brenda Veazey, (202) 260-6158, email@example.com. Content will be updated pending the outcome of the Section 508 review.
- Medicaid and Permanent Supportive Housing for Chronically Homeless Individuals: Literature Synthesis and Environmental Scan (2011) [HTML version also available]
- Health, Housing, and Service Supports for Three Groups of People Experiencing Chronic Homelessness (2012) [HTML version also available]
- Medicaid Financing for Services in Supportive Housing for Chronically Homeless People: Current Practices and Opportunities (2012) [HTML version also available]
- Establishing Eligibility for SSI for Chronically Homeless People (2012) [HTML version also available]
- Public Housing Agencies and Permanent Supportive Housing for Chronically Homeless People (2012) [HTML version also available]
- Medicaid and Permanent Supportive Housing for Chronically Homeless Individuals: Emerging Practices From the Field (2014) [HTML version also available]
- A Primer on Using Medicaid for People Experiencing Chronic Homelessness and Tenants in Permanent Supportive Housing (2014) [HTML version also available]
- Individuals Experiencing Homelessness are Likely to have Medical Conditions Associated with Severe Illness from COVID-19 Issue Brief (2020) [HTML version also available]
- Health Conditions Among Individuals With a History of Homelessness (2021) [HTML version also available]