This website provides access to current health insurance coverage data from the major federal surveys along with measurement, methodological, and evaluation studies relating to these data.
- Federal Data Sources on Health Insurance Coverage
- What’s New
- Master Calendar for Release of Federal Estimates on Health Insurance Coverage
- Research and Methodology Reports
- Earlier estimates of the insured and uninsured
- Earlier research and methodology reports
Note: Some documents are in the PDF format and require a free reader.
- Current Population Survey (CPS), Bureau of the Census
- Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS), Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- National Health Interview Survey (NHIS), National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS)
- Survey of Income and Program Participation (SIPP), Bureau of the Census
- Current Population Survey
- Medical Expenditure Panel Survey
- National Health Interview Survey
|Agency||Survey||Projected Release Date|
|NCHS/CDC||NHIS||March (Quarterly estimate)|
|AHRQ||MEPS||May (Full year monthly indicators, yearly summary)|
|NCHS/CDC||NHIS||June (Quarterly estimate)|
|AHRQ||MEPS||July (Point in time estimate)|
|Census||CPS||August (Annual estimate)|
|NCHS/CDC||NHIS||September (Quarterly estimate)|
|NCHS/CDC||NHIS||December (Quarterly estimate)|
- A Preliminary Evaluation of Health Insurance Coverage in the 2008 American Community Survey (in PDF, 21 pages)
- Health Insurance Estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau: Background for a New Historical Series (in PDF, 25 pages)
- Impact of Medicare and Medicaid Probe Questions on Health Insurance Estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 2005
- Impact of Medicare and Medicaid probe questions on health insurance estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 2004
- U.S. Census Bureau News on Income, Wealth, and the Uninsured, August 30, 2005.
- AHRQ Issues New Data on the Uninsured
- Health Insurance Coverage: Estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 2004 (19 page pdf file)
- Understanding Estimates of the Uninsured: Putting the Differences in Context, September 2005.
- Overview of the Uninsured in the United States: An Analysis of the 2005 Current Population Survey, September 2005.
- Microsimulation Adjustment of Medicaid and the Uninsured, April 2005.
- Estimating the Number of Individuals in the U.S. Without Health Insurance, April 2005.
- TRIM3’s 2001 Baseline Simulation of the Medicaid and SCHIP Programs, February 2005.
- Research Note: The Long-Term Uninsured, August 2004.
- CBO Paper on How Many People Lack Health Insurance and For How Long, May, 2003