July 2015 (Updated)
The dataset provides the total number of Qualified Health Plan selections by county for the 37 states that use the HealthCare.gov platform, including the Federally-facilitated Marketplace, State Partnership Marketplaces and supported State-based Marketplaces for the Marketplace open enrollment period from November 15, 2014 through February 15, 2015, including additional special enrollment period (SEP) activity reported through February 22, 2015.
The data represent the number of unique individuals who have been determined eligible to enroll in a Qualified Health Plan and had selected a Marketplace plan by February 15, 2015 (including SEP activity through February 22). The dataset does not include plan selections from the District of Columbia and 13 states that have State-based Marketplaces.
The 8.8 million plan selections for these 37 states were tabulated by county according to the home address provided by each Marketplace applicant. Data for county metrics with 10 or fewer plan selections are suppressed due to privacy concerns. A total of 2,598 counties from the 37 states are listed in the table, which account for 8.8 million plan selections.
Counties without data on total plan selections account for less than 0.1 percent of the total 8.8 million plan selections, although a higher share of plan selections are suppressed for individual metrics. The percentage of total plan selections suppressed for other metrics is: 0.3 percent for plan selections by advanced premium tax credits; less than 0.1 percent for total plan selections by cost-sharing reductions; 0.7 percent for plan selections by metal level; 0.6 percent for plan selections by consumer type; 0.3 percent for plan selections by family income; 0.5 percent for plan selections by race/ethnicity; and 1.6 percent for plan selections by age category.
The sum of plan selections among counties within a state using this dataset may not be equal to state-level totals provided in the summary enrollment report available at: pdf-document/health-insurance-marketplace-2015-open-enrollment-period-march-enrollment-report. This is because county-level data do not appear for 10 or fewer plan selections, and as a result the dataset does not include all plan selections within a state. Additionally, in a small number of cases, the state of Marketplace enrollment may not correspond to the state in the address provided—for example, individuals with a seasonal address.
The following information is included within the dataset:
- County: the County FIPS Code for the home address provided by the Marketplace applicant.
- State: the state of residence selected by the Marketplace applicant.
- Plan Selections: the total number of unique individuals who have been determined eligible to enroll in a Qualified Health Plan and have selected a Marketplace plan through one of the 37 states described above during the open enrollment period from November 15, 2014 through February 15, 2015, including additional special enrollment period activity reported through February 22, 2015.
- Advanced Premium Tax Credit (APTC): Qualified Health Plan Selections by APTC and county
- Cost-Sharing Reduction (CSR): Qualified Health Plan Selections by CSR and county
- Type of Consumer: Qualified Health Plan Selections by type of consumer (i.e., new, auto re-enrollment, or active re-enrollment) and county
- Household Income: Qualified Health Plan selections by household income as a Percent of the Federal Poverty Level and county
- Race: Qualified Health Plan selections by race/ethnicity and county
- Age: Qualified Health Plan selections by age group
This county enrollment file was updated the afternoon of July 2, 2015. More detailed information about the data elements can be found in the summary enrollment report at: /pdf-document/health-insurance-marketplace-2015-open-enrollment-period-march-enrollment-report.