Prepared by: Westat 1650 Research Boulevard Rockville, MD 20850
Contract No. 233-02-087
The authors would like to thank the following people for their contributions to this study:
- The HHS work group whose guidance in the planning of the study and review of our work products were invaluable (Tom Hertz, Shannon Kelly, Diane Osterhus, Hal Greenberg, Kimberly Romine, Sheila Cooper, Neal Davis, Carmelia Strickland, Denise Beauvais, Floyd Godfrey, Jerome Wilson, Pelagie (Mike) Snesrud, Bill Robinson, Jill Erickson, Leo Nolan, Eugenia Tyner-Dawson, Eric Broderick, Valerie Jordan, and Tim Martin from the Tribal Self Governance Organization and Christina Morrow from the National Congress of American Indians);
- The HHS staff from ACF/ANA, AHRQ, ASTBF, CDC, HRSA, IHS, NIH, and SAMHSA who participated in the various focus groups;
- The project consultants, Carole Anne Heart, Gordon Belcourt, Ralph Forquera, and Frank Ryan, who provided insight into the American Indian/Alaska Native/Native American perspective on the HHS grant process and on the project;
- The tribal representatives who participated in the many conference sessions;
- HHS staff who provided us with information about other department initiatives including Walter Leginski, Lisa Gale, Deanna Carlson, and Marsha Brand; and;
- The HHS staff that talked with us in a series of initial interviews about the grants process and HHS.
We also would like to extend special thanks to Dr. Norka Ruiz Bravo, Deputy Director for Extramural Research at NIH, who made a special effort to help us get the focus group participants from NIH. Finally, we would like to thank our co-task order officers, Alana Landey and Peggy Halpern, as well as Canta Pian, Barbara Broman, Don Winstead, and Jerry Regier from the Office of Human Services Policy in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Planning and Evaluation, Department of Health and Human Services for their support and guidance throughout the study.