Using Medicaid to Cover Services for Elderly Persons in Residential Care Settings: State Policy Maker and Stakeholder Views in Six States. Room and Board Payments


Residents who receive services through the Elderly Waiver program, the Personal Care option, or the state's Alternative Care program must pay rent and raw food costs from their income. Room and board or rental rates are not defined or controlled directly by Medicaid or the Alternative Care program. However, Medicaid's financial eligibility rules do limit the amount of income that Elderly Waiver or Personal Care clients will have available to pay rent or room and board. If the client has inadequate income for room and board, the client may be eligible for the state's Group Residential Housing program.

View full report


"med4rcs.pdf" (pdf, 3.73Mb)

Note: Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®. If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download the latest version of the Reader®