Using Medicaid to Cover Services for Elderly Persons in Residential Care Settings: State Policy Maker and Stakeholder Views in Six States. Medication Administration


  • The AL/RC provider is responsible through their contract with DHS for medication administration, which is defined as either the direct administration of all medications or assistance with or supervision of self- medication. This includes injections if needed. Only licensed personnel can give injections.

  • Home and community support services agencies cannot be authorized to provide--or be reimbursed for providing--medication administration because it is the facility's responsibility to provide this service. The cost must be included in the daily rate that the facility bills CBA. All other nursing tasks and waiver services can be provided by an HCSS agency.

View full report


"med4rcs.pdf" (pdf, 3.73Mb)

Note: Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®. If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download the latest version of the Reader®