Prior to the on-site visit, information on the quality improvement program was gathered from a literature review, stakeholder discussions and the MyFlorida.com website. Information on the following aspects of the programs was gathered and organized in a table:
- Program title;
- Program description;
- Agency contact--the person(s) most knowledgeable about the program protocols and implementation to date;
- Impetus--what prompted the development of the program;
- Designer--identify the individual(s) or group(s) responsible for program design and indicate agency affiliation(s);
- Goals--state the program objectives;
- Funding Source and Amount--state current funding amounts/sources and projections for future periods;
- Program Staff--indicate how many individuals are involved in the program implementation including administrative support, what is the organizational structure;
- Facility Involvement--is this a requirement for all facilities or a voluntary program, how are facilities selected for inclusion, if voluntary?
- Dates--what are the program beginning and end dates; and
- Evaluation--indicate current and planned formal evaluation program(s).
The table was forwarded to the survey agency contact, Dr. Susan Acker, prior to the on-site visit for her to review and provide additional or corrected information. The research team used the factual information in the tables as a starting point to develop interview questions that focused on more in-depth issues. Letters of endorsement explaining the project goals, state selection and interview processes were sent to prospective interviewees. Follow-up phone calls were made to arrange for convenient dates and times for interviews.