Residential Care Facilities: A Key Sector in the Spectrum of Long-term Care Providers in the United States. Owner type, chain affiliation, and geographic location of RCFs varied by facility size

12/01/2011

FIGURE 2. Selected Characteristics of Residential Care Facilities, by Facility Size: United States, 2010
Bar Chart: Private, for profit -- All facilities (82); Small (91); Medium (72); Large (74); Extra large (72). Chain affiliated -- All facilities (38); Small (23); Medium (38); Large (57); Extra large (65). Medtropolitan statistical area (MSA) -- All facilities (81); Small (89); Medium (65); Large (75); Extra large (93).
SOURCE: CDC/NCHS, National Survey of Residential Care Facilities, 2010.
  1. Small facilities are significantly different from all other facility sizes at p < 0.05.
  2. A significant upward trend was observed with increasing facility size at p < 0.05.
  3. All facility sizes are significantly different from each other in the percentage of facilities located in an MSA at p < 0.05.
  • Approximately 82% of RCFs were private, for-profit facilities (Figure 2), while the remaining 18% were private, nonprofit facilities or were owned by state, city, or local government (data not shown). Small RCFs were more likely to be for profit (91%) than larger RCFs.

  • About 38% of RCFs were chain-affiliated. As facility size increased, the proportion of chain-affiliated facilities grew: Extra large RCFs, for example, were almost three times as likely (65%) as small RCFs (23%) to be owned by a chain, group, or multifacility system.

  • Small (89%) and extra large (93%) RCFs were most likely to be in a metropolitan statistical area (MSA), while medium RCFs were least likely to be in an MSA (65%).

View full report

Preview
Download

"RCFkey.pdf" (pdf, 2.13Mb)

Note: Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®. If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download the latest version of the Reader®