(1) More detailed information concerning the methodology is located in appendix A.
(3) U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2004.
(4) One additional State was dropped from the analysis due to the absence of risk factor data.
(5) Risk ratios tied to p values less than 0.0001 indicate that with respect to the reference category for each variable in the model, the children associated with the other categories are at higher risk (risk ratio greater than one), lower risk (risk ratio less than one), or the same risk of a subsequent event.
(6) Children who reached age 18 before the end of the observation period of 3 years were excluded from this analysis.
(7) One additional State was dropped from the analysis due to the absence of risk factor data.
(8) Maltreatment data are reported for this analysis because the data are available for all NCANDS victims. Not all States provided data on maltreatment if the child was not determined to be a victim, thus this variable was not included in the rereporting analysis described above.
(9) In this State, children who were not victims in the current report were never being identified as prior victims. Conversely, only children identified as victims in the current report were being identified as victims prior to the current report.
To obtain a printed copy of this report, send the title and your mailing information to:Human Services Policy, Room 404E
Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
200 Independence Av, SW
Washington, DC 20201
Fax: (202) 690-6562