The various agencies and offices of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) maintain their own evaluation program--including the functions of evaluation planning and policy review, quality assurance through technical review, project coordination and management, dissemination of reports, and utilization of results. This chapter is a compendium of the evaluations completed and in progress during fiscal year (FY) 1998, organized by the following HHS components:
- Administration for Children and Families (ACF)
- Administration on Aging (AoA)
- Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR)
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA)
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- Indian Health Service (IHS)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (ASPE)
- Office of Public Health and Science (OPHS)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Each HHS agency and office section begins with an overview of the relevant evaluation program, describing its philosophy, policies, and procedures. Next are descriptions of the major evaluations completed in FY 1998, grouped by major program areas. Lastly, the evaluations currently in progress are presented in chronological order of the expected date of completion.
For more information about a particular evaluation, either completed or in progress, the name and telephone number of the Federal contact person is included. Final reports for the completed evaluations listed in this chapter are located at the HHS Policy Information Center (PIC), a centralized source of information on completed and in progress HHS evaluations. The PIC maintains a projects resource data base containing information on more than 6,000 studies sponsored by HHS, as well as other Federal agencies, and private-sector entities. The PIC identification number appears after the Federal contact's phone number. Access to the PIC resource database by the public is available through the following Internet address: <http://aspe.hhs.gov/PIC/gate2pic.htm>. For additional information about using the PIC resources, please contact the Policy Information Center at (202) 690-6445.