Vera Salter, Ph.D.
Paraprofessional Haelthcare Institute
A NATIONAL RESOURCE CENTER
- Collect and analyze information about the direct-care workforce.
- Identify knowledge gaps.
- Distribute information to multiple stakeholders.
- Connect people with common interests.
- Respond to requests from users.
- Library of publications and other resources:
- National reports on the workforce crisis.
- Surveys of state initiatives.
- Curricula and “how to” materials.
- Worker voices.
- “Best practice” database.
- State resource section.
- Up to 15,000 visits per month.
- Quality Jobs/Quality Care e-newsletter with over 1,200 subscribers.
PRACTICE PROFILE DATABASE
- Collaboration between IFAS and PHI, funded by Health and Human Services (ASPE and CMS).
- To identify what has worked to improve worker recruitment and retention.
- Promote cross-learning between innovators.
- Looking for programs that are in place and have shown results.
- Make examples available in a web database.
- Conversations with experts around the country seeking recommendations.
- Calls for help at conferences and through newsletters.
- Interviews with providers about what they have done.
- Collection of related written material.
EXAMPLES OF FINDINGS
- Screening and recruitment.
- Entry-level training.
- Peer support and mentoring.
- Career advancement.
- Management and supervisory training.
- Comprehensive interventions.
- Wages, benefits and worker support.
RECRUITMENT AND ENTRY-LEVEL TRAINING
Many innovative models that used workforce funds:
- George G. Glenner School of Dementia Care in San Diego.
- Co-operative Home Care Associates in the Bronx, New York (CHCA).
- The Shirley Ware Education Center (SEIU).
- Hope for Health Care in Richmond, Virginia.
- LEAP in Cleveland, Ohio trains people with disabilities.
- Direct CareGiver Association (Arizona).
MENTORING AND CAREER ADVANCEMENT
- WIN A STEP UP -- North Carolina.
- Iowa CareGivers Association: “For those who mentor.”
- Luther Manor Nursing Home in Iowa -- facility mentoring program.
- St. Peter Villa in Memphis -- career ladder.
MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISORY TRAINING
- Mather Lifeways LEAP (IL).
- Co-operative Home Care Associates (CHCA): Coaching Supervision (NY).
- Resthaven Christian Services: Director of CNA position (IL).
- Vinfen: Seld Managed Teams (MA).
- Apple Health Care (CT, MA, RI).
- Co-operative Home Care Associates (NY).
- Leelanau Memorial Health Center (MI).
- Mercy Franciscan Health Systems.
- Ararat Nursing (CA).
- Wellspring Innovative Solutions (WI).
WAGES, BENEFITS AND SUPPORTS
- San Francisco IHSS Public Authority.
- Bon Secours wage parity initiative.
- Cooperative Care Waushara Wisconsin.
- Nazareth home wage enhancement program.
- Kahl home employee assistance program.
TO ACCESS THE CLEARINGHOUSE
QUALITY JOBS/QUALITY CARE
Quality Jobs/Quality Care is a free e-mail newsletter that covers issues concerning direct-care workers in long-term care. It’s published twice a month by the National Clearinghouse on the Direct Care Workforce (www.directcareclearinghouse.org), which provides reliable, up-to-date information related to the direct-care workforce nationwide. The Clearinghouse is a project of the Paraprofessional Healthcare Institute (www.paraprofessional.org).