||Definition and Selected Examples
||Access and Communication
||The practice provides patient access during and after regular business hours, and communicates with patients effectively.
- Patients have personal clinicians.
- Same day appointments, based on triage, are available.
- Telephone advice lines are available with timely response.
||Patient Tracking and Registry Functions
||The practice has readily available, clinically useful information on patients that enables it to treat patients comprehensively and systematically.
- The practice can generate lists of patients and take action to remind patients or clinicians proactively of services needed.
||The practice maintains continuous relationships with patients by implementing evidence-based guidelines and applying them to the identified needs of individual patients over time and with the intensity needed by patients.
- The practice follows guidelines for screenings, immunizations, risk assessments, and counseling and uses patient reminders for appointments, medication refills, and tests.
||Patient Self-Management Support
||The practice works to improve patients' ability to self-manage health by providing educational resources and ongoing assistance and encouragement.
||The practice seeks to reduce medical errors and improve efficiency by eliminating handwritten prescriptions and by using drug safety checks and cost information when prescribing.
||The practice works to improve effectiveness of care by using timely information on all tests and results.
- The practice tracks test orders to ensure results are received, flags abnormal tests, and follows-up.
||The practice seeks to improve effectiveness, timeliness and coordination by following through on consultations and referrals.
||Performance Reporting and Improvement
||The practice seeks to improve effectiveness, timeliness and other aspects of quality by measuring and reporting performance, comparing itself to national benchmarks, giving physicians regular feedback and taking actions to improve.
||Advanced Electronic Communication
||The practice maximizes use of electronic communication to improve timeliness, effectiveness, efficiency and coordination of care.
- The practice offers patients the use of an interactive website.