Type of Activity: Demonstration and program services
Funding Mechanism: Head Start Innovation and Improvement Project Grant
Total Available Funding: (none at this time)
Number of Awards: 1
Award Amount: $999,917
Length of Project Period: 3 years (July 2008- June 2011)
Federal Partners: N/A
Summary: The Office of Head Start (OHS) funded the Family Support Division (FSD), within the Missouri Department of Social Services to support incarcerated fathers or fathers under supervision of the probation or parole system. The project, titled Fathers for Life was funded for three years (from 2005- 2008). Materials developed through the project will be available online free of charge for program use, beginning October 2010.
The program’s five primary objectives are to:
- Support children currently enrolled in Head Start/Early Head Start who have incarcerated fathers, and increase referrals of eligible children with incarcerated fathers into Head Start/Early Head Start.
- Provide parenting support to incarcerated fathers and fathers under supervision of probation/parole whose children are enrolled in or eligible to enroll in Head Start/Early Head Start.
- Improve family well-being for families of children enrolled in or eligible for Head Start/Early Head Start, whose fathers are incarcerated/on probation or parole.
- Provide training and resources to Head Start/Early Head Start teachers, service coordinators (ex. Family Advocates, Family Service Workers, etc.), and other professionals working with children of incarcerated parents and their families.
- Develop a statewide plan to address the effects of incarceration and poverty on young children and their families.
Background: The purpose of the grant was to strengthen low-income families with children that have incarcerated fathers or fathers under supervision of the probation and parole system.
Grantee: Missouri Department of Social Services
Location of Projects: Community Action Partnership of Greater St. Joseph; East Missouri Action Agency and Grace Hill Settlement House; Children's Therapy Center Early Head Start, Sedalia; YMCA-Kansas City; Head Start, Independence School District; Head Start, Kansas City; Ozark Area Community Action Agency Head Start, Springfield; Douglass Community Services Head Start, Hannibal; Northeast Mo. Community Action Agency Head Start, Kirksville; and South Central Mo. Community Action Agency Head Start, Winona
Evaluation Activities: Evaluation conducted by the University of Missouri Institute for Human Development. The final report was submitted to the Missouri Department of Social Services Family Support Division. Available online: http://www.fatherhood.org/Document.Doc?id=50
Future Prospects: Materials developed through the project is available online free of charge for program use
Program Analyst, Office of Head Start
Phone: (202) 358-3245