The alternative response option does not necessarily result in a finding of maltreatment. Instead, the results are specified in terms of distinct types of actions. (See table 5–F.) (Responses were not mutually exclusive.)
- Thirteen States (65.0%) included in policy the option of no further action;
- Twelve States (60.0%) included the option of referral for voluntary services;
- Eleven States (55.0%) allow for cases to be returned to an investigation unit;
- Eight States (40.0%) included the option of petitioning the court for mandatory services; and
- Eight States (40.0%) included the option of closing the response without completing all activities.