While the disposition categories supported determining whether abuse or neglect had occurred or the child was at risk, there were additional purposes for an investigation. (See table 4-C.)
- Thirty-one States (60.8%) specified determining a disposition as a purpose;
- Thirty-one States (60.8%) specified assessing or remediating safety as a purpose;
- Thirty States (58.8%) specified assessing or remediating risk as a purpose;
- Twenty-seven States (52.9%) specified determining need for services as a purpose;
- Nineteen States (37.3%) explicitly specified protecting the child as a purpose; and
- Five States (9.8%) specified maintaining the family as a purpose.