All 38 of Maine's acute care hospitals are under contract to connect to the HIE. HIN has 34 of the 38 hospitals connected, 376 ambulatory provider sites including primary and specialty care practices, FQHCs, mental health agencies, home health and two long-term care providers. Throughout 2013, HIN will work to establish connections with the four remaining hospitals and expand the types of data shared by hospitals that are already connected. It will also continue to connect new ambulatory sites.
HIN maintains medical information on more than 1.1 million patients or 76% of all of the residents in the State of Maine. Maine is an opt-out, consent model state meaning patient information is automatically included in the HIE unless the patient opts-out of participation in the exchange. During interviews, HIN Executive Director, Dev Culver, reported that 70% of the patients who participate in the statewide exchange have health information posted from one or more non-affiliated providers.
HIN provides a consolidated view of specific types of health record information organized around the patient. The information available on HIN includes the following:
- ADT event tracking and notification;
- Patient Demographics (name, birth date, address, sex, phone number, social security number and insurance);
- Medication (prescriptions) and medication history (through SureScripts);
- Lab and test results (including graphing of results);
- Vital signs (including graphing of results);
- Image reports;
- Transcribed reports (e.g., summary records); and
- Problem list (conditions, diagnosis and/or health problems from participating providers).
Certain classes of information are not included on the HIE including information from substance abuse or mental health providers and HIV diagnoses and results of HIV tests.
HIN supports public health by reporting certain illnesses (like Influenza and Lyme Disease) to public health experts at the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Maine CDC).12
12. About HealthInfoNet Better. Easier.Safer pamphlet.
"HIEengage.pdf" (pdf, 976.86Kb)
"HIEengageA.pdf" (pdf, 122.65Kb)
"HIEengageB.pdf" (pdf, 132.47Kb)
"HIEengageC.pdf" (pdf, 62.72Kb)
"HIEengageD.pdf" (pdf, 64.52Kb)
"HIEengageE.pdf" (pdf, 71.74Kb)
"HIEengageF.pdf" (pdf, 67.17Kb)
"HIEengageG.pdf" (pdf, 128.62Kb)
"HIEengageH.pdf" (pdf, 1.02Mb)
"HIEengageI.pdf" (pdf, 264.75Kb)
"HIEengageJ.pdf" (pdf, 663.47Kb)
"HIEengageK.pdf" (pdf, 126.77Kb)
"HIEengageL.pdf" (pdf, 141.17Kb)