The EMHS is a non-profit organization comprised of:
Acute care inpatient hospitals including a psychiatric hospital and tertiary trauma center.
LTPAC providers including home care agencies and hospice providers, nursing facilities, a continued care retirement center, and assisted living facilities.
Ancillary services including emergency transport companies (ground and air), pharmacy, durable medical equipment (DME) and medical supply vendors.
The largest hospital in the EMHS is Eastern Maine Medical Center (EMMC) -- a 411-bed medical center located in Bangor, Maine. EMMC's service area is comprised of approximately two-thirds of the state. The hospital is the hub referral hospital for 21 hospitals in rural Maine. EMMC and its medical staff of nearly 400 providers and more than 3,000 clinical and support staff provide three-quarters of the primary care hospital services offered in the greater Bangor area, as well as specialty and intensive care services.
EMHS has embraced technology as a key factor in supporting both the health care delivery needs of a population that covers a very large, often rural geography and new innovative models of care they are implementing. As an organization they embrace a culture of technology and innovation having achieved the following industry recognition and key implementation milestones:3
- EMMC "Top 100 Most Wired Hospitals" Hospital and Health Networks Magazine;
- HIMSS Davies Award Recognition;
- EMHS CIO of the Year recognition by HIMSS;
- Telemedicine including ICU, ED, Radiology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Home Care Telehealth, electronic medical record (EMR) infrastructure at all sites of care (acute and community);
- System-wide Hospital EMR Infrastructure;
- PowerChart access to support care delivery across all providers; and
- Founding member of HIN, Maine's HIE.
EMHS provides and supports the information technology needs of EMHC.
3. Remington Technology Summit. "Integrating Technology the Platform for a Shared Savings Model." March 2013.
"HIEengage.pdf" (pdf, 976.86Kb)
"HIEengageA.pdf" (pdf, 122.65Kb)
"HIEengageB.pdf" (pdf, 132.47Kb)
"HIEengageC.pdf" (pdf, 62.72Kb)
"HIEengageD.pdf" (pdf, 64.52Kb)
"HIEengageE.pdf" (pdf, 71.74Kb)
"HIEengageF.pdf" (pdf, 67.17Kb)
"HIEengageG.pdf" (pdf, 128.62Kb)
"HIEengageH.pdf" (pdf, 1.02Mb)
"HIEengageI.pdf" (pdf, 264.75Kb)
"HIEengageJ.pdf" (pdf, 663.47Kb)
"HIEengageK.pdf" (pdf, 126.77Kb)
"HIEengageL.pdf" (pdf, 141.17Kb)