The community coalition’s activities operationalize the original goals of the coalition and may include but are not limited to the following:
- Programs/services (e.g., enrollment assistance in Medicaid/SCHIP, pharmacy assistance, coordination with social services, language/translation services, patient navigation, new health insurance plans, care coordination, new clinics or access points, medical homes, expansion of specialty services)
- Systems change activities (e.g., data sharing or integrated data systems, electronic medical records, financial management information systems, standardized registry systems, screening and eligibility systems, disease management system)
- Policy advocacy (e.g., collaborations with local or state government)
- Health behavior change (e.g., prevention, healthy diet, screenings, health education)
- Dissemination of products (e.g., community newsletters, community bulletin boards or web sites, community hotlines)
- Community capacity building activities (e.g., providing technical assistance and training to other organizations, establishing networks of organizations, implementing community leader development programs, developing community resource guides)
As noted earlier, these activities may have changed over time, although the coalition’s goals remained the same. Activities may be refined over time to reflect the economy, funding priorities, population demographics, evaluation results, or other factors.