The Marketplaces in HealthCare.gov States are Succeeding in Reaching People Who Do Not Currently have Marketplace Coverage.
3.4 million individuals have already selected 2015 Marketplace plans as of 12-15-14 in HealthCare.gov states, including new consumers, and consumers who are reenrolling in Marketplace coverage (see Table 1). Of that total, 52 percent (1.8 million) are plan selections by new consumers who did not have a Marketplace plan selection as of November 2014, and 48 percent (1.6 million) are plan selections from consumers who are reenrolling in Marketplace coverage (excluding automatic reenrollees).
|2015 Marketplace Plan Selections in States Using the HealthCare.gov Platform By Enrollment Type||Cumulative
11-15-14 to 12-15-14
|Number||% of Total|
|Total 2015 Marketplace Plan Selections in HealthCare.gov States (1)||3.42 million||100%|
|New Consumers||1.77 million||52%|
|Consumers Reenrolling in Marketplace Coverage (2)||1.64 million||48%|
Notes: Numbers may not add to totals due to rounding
(1) Total 2015 Marketplace Plan Selections represents cumulative data on the number of unique individuals who have selected a 2015 Marketplace medical plan for enrollment through the individual market Marketplaces (with or without the first premium payment having been received directly by the Marketplaces or the issuer). This is also known as pre-effectuated enrollment. These data do not include: cancellations and terminations; a count of the number of individuals who have selected a standalone dental plan; or individuals who may have selected a 2014 Marketplace plan during the reporting period, as a result of having been granted a Special Enrollment Period (SEP).
(2) Consumers reenrolling in Marketplace coverage includes data for consumers who are actively reenrolling in Marketplace coverage, but does not include data for automatic reenrollees.
Source: Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, as of 12-23-14.
- Interest in the Marketplaces in HealthCare.gov States is High – During the first month of the 2015 Open Enrollment period:
- 14.7 million visits were made to the HealthCare.gov and CuidadoDeSalud.gov websites;
- 6.8 million calls were made to the Marketplace call center for the HealthCare.gov states;
- 3.4 million completed applications for 2015 coverage were submitted; and
- 5.0 million people were included in these completed applications.
- Two-Thirds of the Consumers Who Submitted Applications to the Marketplaces in the HealthCare.gov States Have Already Selected Marketplace Plans – Most of the people who applied for coverage through the Marketplace during the first month of the 2015 Open Enrollment period in the HealthCare.gov states have already received an eligibility determination and/or selected a plan (see Appendix Table B2):
- 97 percent of applicants have received an eligibility determination.4
- Two-thirds (68 percent) of those applying have already selected a 2015 Marketplace plan; and
- 9 percent of applicants have been determined or assessed eligible for Medicaid/CHIP.
- People Responded to the December 15th Deadline for Marketplace Coverage Beginning on January 1, 2015 in HealthCare.gov States
- 2.0 million people selected a 2015 Marketplace plan in the 37 HealthCare.gov states between 12-7-14 and 12-15-14 (59 percent of the 3.4 million people who selected a plan during the first month of the 2015 Open Enrollment period) (see Figure 1); and
- Nearly 1.0 million people selected a 2015 Marketplace plan on 12-13-14, 12-14-14 or 12-15-14, which is 28 percent of the total number of people selecting a plan during the first month of the open enrollment period.
Trends in the Cumulative Number of Individuals Who Selected a Marketplace Plan in States Using the HealthCare.gov Platform, 11-15-14 to 12-15-14
3.4 million people selected 2015 Marketplace plans in HealthCare.gov states during the first month of the open enrollment period, including 28% during the last 3 days
Notes: Represents the cumulative number of unique individuals who have been determined eligible to enroll in a plan through the states using the HealthCare.gov platform, and have actively selected a plan (with or without the first premium payment having been received bythe issuer). Number of states using the HealthCare.gov platform: 37 states during the 2015 coverage year.
Source: Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, as of 12-23-14
4 The number of applicants who have received an eligibility determination includes both those who have been determined eligible to enroll in a plan through the Marketplaces, and those who have been determined or assessed eligible for Medicaid/CHIP by the Marketplaces.