Families on TANF in South Carolina: Employment Assets and Liabilities. Chemical Dependence

10/01/2004

The survey respondents were asked a series of questions about their use of alcohol or drugs, including questions about any negative consequences from alcohol or drug dependence.
  • Very few respondents reported signs of chemical dependence.

Only 1% of the respondents had a probable dependence on either alcohol or drugs.14 About 5% reported that they had consumed four or more drinks on a single day in the past year, and 6% reported having used various drugs during the past 12 months. Few of these respondents said that their alcohol or drug use in the past year had interfered with employment or training activities, or that they had experienced emotional or psychological problems in the past year from using alcohol or drugs.15


14 It was anticipated that estimates of “dependence” would be low in this survey because measures of dependence
are narrower than measures of alcohol and drug use, or even abuse.
15 These findings should be treated with some caution because they are based on self-reports.

View full report

Preview
Download

"emp-assets-liab-223E.pdf" (pdf, 977.84Kb)

Note: Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®. If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download the latest version of the Reader®