The Work Group was further assisted in developing its goals and strategies by program officials from the eight mainstream programs identified in Chapter 2. The officials were invited to review an extensive listing of potential recommendations and, using a standard response protocol, to identify:
- The program's current implementation of any activity related to the recommendation;
- What HHS agencies should be involved if the recommendation were to move to the implementation stage;
- If there were cost implications to the program, States, or grantees; and
- If new legislation or regulation would be required.
The responses of the program officials were considered before shaping final suggestions. The desire was to ensure a mix of challenges, rather than a set of recommendations that might be too complex to be attempted or a set that was so elementary that it reflected actions that had already been taken in the programs.
The result of all of the processes described above is presented in the next chapter.
1. A charge to the work group also called for establishing monitoring and evaluation benchmarks. The absence of data to inform the Department about a baseline suggested considerable developmental work would be needed before empirical benchmarks could be established. The plan includes a recommendation for this work.
"cover.pdf" (pdf, 304.43Kb)
"TOC.pdf" (pdf, 17.34Kb)
"ch1.pdf" (pdf, 36.5Kb)
"ch2.pdf" (pdf, 804.33Kb)
"ch3.pdf" (pdf, 109.36Kb)
"ch4.pdf" (pdf, 47.48Kb)
"ch5.pdf" (pdf, 78.15Kb)
"apa.pdf" (pdf, 35.51Kb)
"apb.pdf" (pdf, 37.12Kb)
"apc.pdf" (pdf, 96.13Kb)