These recommendations form a basis for the programs of HHS to explore ways in which their actions can contribute to the Administration's goal of ending chronic homelessness. They are neither prescriptive nor exhaustive of the possibilities for programs. However, in recognizing that categorical program approaches have limits in responding to the needs of a multi-problem clientele, the Work Group explicitly avoided recommendations that create additional programs or funding streams. Success is not measured exclusively by the existence of a program, but from the accumulation of operations supported by:
- a program mission;
- a management structure to carry out the mission;
- policies that guide operations;
- funding and incentives for the activities of the program;
- technical assistance to ensure credible and accountable activities; and
- outcomes that demonstrate the success of the above.
The Work Group believes the Administration's goal of ending chronic homelessness combined with the recommendations offered above accumulate to provide these six supports. Their interaction will guarantee the Department's success.
1. It is assumed throughout this document that no strategies will be implemented without seeking and attaining all relevant legislative and/or regulatory changes needed to ensure that all programs within HHS continue to operate within their given authority and mission. It is also assumed that, to the extent the strategies seek to impose any requirements on applicants as conditions of given awards, before doing so, programs will confirm that their authorizing authority and program/administrative regulations permit such imposition of conditions. It is further assumed that no proposals will be implemented without resolving any inherent budget implications.
"cover.pdf" (pdf, 304.43Kb)
"TOC.pdf" (pdf, 17.34Kb)
"ch1.pdf" (pdf, 36.5Kb)
"ch2.pdf" (pdf, 804.33Kb)
"ch3.pdf" (pdf, 109.36Kb)
"ch4.pdf" (pdf, 47.48Kb)
"ch5.pdf" (pdf, 78.15Kb)
"apa.pdf" (pdf, 35.51Kb)
"apb.pdf" (pdf, 37.12Kb)
"apc.pdf" (pdf, 96.13Kb)