The media serve as important partners in promoting diabetes prevention messages. The following are steps that members of the media can take to help spread the word about how to prevent type 2 diabetes:
- Promote public awareness about the importance of diabetes prevention and the benefits of maintaining a healthy weight with regular physical activity and a healthy diet.
- Disseminate credible and accurate messages that encourage healthy habits and discourage risky behaviors. Media staff can help tailor messages to target specific audiences.
- Partner with medical professionals, federal, state, and local governments, and privatesector community entities to help the public understand the importance of preventing diabetes. Publicize providers who are doing a particularly good job in facilitating behavior change or a hospital that has opened its doors to run a no-cost exercise program in a low-income area.
- Conduct or participate in research to study the effectiveness of media messages promoting healthy lifestyles.
- Use public access networks to broadcast local conferences or training videos on diabetes prevention.