Health insurance providers can also support management of diabetes through education and outreach efforts to their members. Bringing individuals into high-quality diabetes care early can help improve quality of life and may avoid complications. Some action steps for health insurance include:
- Distribute educational materials to health plan members with diabetes via direct mail or to health care providers for distribution.
- Inform women with diabetes about the importance of blood glucose control before and during pregnancy.
- Acknowledge providers that effectively use care guidelines to provide high-quality diabetes care.
- Consider offering health care providers incentives to follow evidence-based practice guidelines for care to optimize treatment outcomes.
- Educate patients about the importance of healthy lifestyle behaviors and self-blood glucose monitoring and management. Create patient education materials targeting groups that are particularly vulnerable to diabetes, such as children, people of various racial and ethnic groups, and elderly persons.
- Consider designing insurance benefits that cover evidence based services needed to treat diabetes, including diabetes self-management education.