Health insurance organizations can also support early detection of diabetes through education and outreach efforts to their members. Early identification of diabetes can help improve quality of life and avoid costly complications. Health plans may also consider giving diabetes screening and testing guidelines to providers. Potential steps health insurance providers can take include:
- Educate members about the risk factors and signs and symptoms for diabetes and offer incentives to at-risk patients to be tested for diabetes.
- Inform pregnant women about the potential value of screening for gestational diabetes.
- Consider offering incentives to health care providers to follow evidence-based diabetes diagnostic guidelines.
- Provide information to assist providers in reaching racial and ethnic groups that are disproportionately affected by diabetes.
- Provide culturally sensitive messages that are targeted to racial and ethnic populations at higher risk for diabetes.