Successful prevention initiatives can reduce the need for some costly medical services and treatment. Therefore, health insurance providers can also assist prevention efforts as follows:
- Educate patients and purchasers on the importance of prevention to reduce the risk for diabetes.
- Review preventive health benefits offered to purchasers.
- Partner with others working in diabetes prevention such as State Diabetes Prevention and Control Programs in State Health Departments.
- Develop creative prevention messages and programs that encourage patients to adopt healthy behaviors (i.e., eating healthy, regular exercise).
- Participate in research into effective preventive services and practices.