One of the best ways to build exercise and healthy eating into daily activities is to do it with others, including family and friends. Here are some suggestions:
- Parents can exercise with their children. Be a role model for them. Walking together has the added benefit of providing a regular opportunity to talk with them.
- Parents can model good eating habits for their children by eating a diet that includes plenty of whole grain products, vegetables, and fruits, and is low in fats, saturated fats, and cholesterol, and limiting portion sizes.
- Caregivers should promote physical activity and good eating habits for older family members.
- Walk the dog. Make walking the dog a regular family activity. The dog will appreciate it.
- Give pedometers to family or friends to help make exercise fun.
- Support the exercise habits of family members, including older adults. Look for ways to help them fit exercise into their schedules.
- Offer to bring fresh fruit as a dessert rather than cake or cookies when going to a friend or family’s house for a meal.