Changes made to the questionnaire instruments included:
- Adding and removing some questions.
- Changing question wording to clarify the question for respondents.
- Changing question order to improve questionnaire efficiency and minimize redundancy.
- Adding or modifying response categories.
- Adding or altering CAPI on-screen instructions for interviewers to improve interviewer usability.
- Implementing additional soft and hard range checks and inter-item consistency checks.
- Adding more Show Cards to improve the pace of the interview.
The pretest also revealed need for a centralized computer system to easily access information about facilities, appointments, and interviewer availability and to better manage facility recruitment and appointment scheduling activities. As a result, RTI developed the Facesheet (Appendix IV)—a Web-based locator or appointment application—and the Event Calendar.
The Facesheet provided:
- A way for recruiters and interviewers to update findings from the field, such as facility contact information, chain contact information, and notes about appointments.
- A place to enter information about mailings to facilities and chains.
- A place to easily view information about a facility in a central database.
The Event Calendar allowed:
- Recruiters to schedule facility appointments on behalf of interviewers by seeing their availability in real time.
- Recruiters and interviewers to manage appointment schedules efficiently.
The interoperability between the Facesheet and the screener questionnaire also ensured accurate and up-to-date information, which was readily available to different staff—recruiters, interviewers, and supervisors—assigned to the same facility.
Modifications were made to the recruiter and interviewer contacting scripts to make them more conversational and instructive for the field staff and to structure them for use with the Facesheet. The recruiter scripts (renamed) included:
- Advance Package Call.
- Set an Appointment Call.
The interviewer scripts included:
- Reminder Call.
- Reschedule Appointment Call
Respondent Contact Materials
Modifications were made to the materials sent to the facility director before the in-person interview.
- A Pre-Interview Worksheet (PIW) replaced the ADCF. It was renamed to make its intended purpose more transparent, better designed to facilitate completion, and included needed definitions and instructions.
- The PIW cover sheet also included key information about the upcoming appointment and specific instructions for preparing the list of current residents before the interview.
Information for Survey Participants
NCHS developed an NSRCF website with a section specifically dedicated to prospective survey participants (available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nsrcf/ participant.htm). This online information included an overview of NSRCF and its importance in providing data about residential care providers. The website also provided brief answers to these frequently asked questions:
- What is the National Survey of Residential Care Facilities?
- Why is this survey being conducted?
- Why should my residential care facility participate?
- How was my residential care community selected?
- How do I know this is a legitimate survey?
- Is information on my facility kept confidential?
- Does the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule allow my residential care facility to participate in this survey?
- Who will be collecting this information and how long will it take?
- What type of information is collected?
- Who can I contact if I have additional questions?
The link to this website appeared on the promotional materials sent to facility directors as well as on other related materials used to promote the study.