A basic study of a prevention practice would provide information on the following:
- Prevention — identify risk factors for homelessness;
- Treatment matching — understand the services and housing needed by particular families to exit homelessness;
- Families at risk for homelessness or the identification of families before they become homeless;
- Factors that prevent imminent homelessness, including individual and programmatic factors;
- Moderate need families; and
- Families who become homeless despite intervention.