The purpose of this project has been to conduct a number of activities designed to inform the development of a typology of homeless families. These activities included the following:
- Reviewing the relevant literature on homeless families, as well as on typology development;
- Reviewing existing data sets for reanalysis and conducting a reanalysis of a data set on a sample at high risk of homelessness;
- Reviewing relevant ongoing studies and identifying how they may be modified to collect data on homelessness;
- Convening a group of research experts on topics ranging from homelessness research in general, to homeless families, welfare, and typology development. Several Federal participants attended a one-day panel meeting to generate discussion related to conceptualizing a typology; and
- Identifying study options that could provide additional information to guide the typology development.
This chapter summarizes what we have learned from this constellation of activities and the directions that seem most worthwhile to take in developing a typology of homeless families.