Analysis of Integrated HIV Housing and Care Services. 1. RWP Housing Assistance

02/01/2014

RWP funds a range of medical and support services. The program’s core medical services encompass outpatient ambulatory health care, oral health care, early intervention services, home health care, home and community-based health services, hospice care, mental health services, medical nutrition therapy, medical case management, outpatient substance abuse services, health insurance premium and cost-sharing assistance, prescription medications, and local pharmaceutical assistance. RWP-funded support services include nonmedical case management, food bank/home delivered meals, health education/risk reduction, transportation services, psychosocial support, child care, pediatric development assessment, emergency financial assistance, housing services, legal services, linguistic services, outreach services, permanency services, rehabilitation services, respite services, residential substance abuse services, and treatment adherence counseling (HAB 2013). Under the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Extension Act of 2009, RWP Part A, B, and C grantees are required to expend at least 75 percent of their grant on core medical services, including anti-retroviral drugs (Federal Register 2013). The other 25 percent can be used to pay for support services, including housing assistance.

RWP-funded housing assistance provides short-term aid to support emergency, temporary, or transitional housing so that an individual or a family can gain or maintain health care. However, RWP housing funds cannot include direct cash transfers to recipients of services and cannot be used for mortgage payments. In addition, the housing assistance cannot be permanent and must be accompanied by a strategy to transition the individual or family to long-term, stable housing.2 The program can also fund housing referral services, including housing assessment, search, placement, advocacy services, and associated housing fees. RWP-funded housing may include housing with medical or support services (such as for residential treatment of substance abuse). RWP also funds Emergency Financial Assistance (EFA), which can provide one-time or short-term payments for emergency expenses related to utilities, housing, food, transportation, and medication. EFA was not included in these analyses, because it was not possible to separate out EFA expenditures and services from other types of financial assistance.


2 2012 Annual Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Services Report Instruction Manual. Available at [http://hab.hrsa.gov/Manageyourgrant/Files/Rsrmanual.pdf].

View full report

Preview
Download

"rpt_HIVHousing.pdf" (pdf, 1023.18Kb)

Note: Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®. If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download the latest version of the Reader®