Analysis of Child Welfare Services Expenditure Data and Child Day Care Expenditure Data: Phase II Report. C. State Expenditure Results

09/01/1988

The 10 States spending the most for Child Welfare services in 1985 were:

  Estimated Fed., St., Loc. Expenditures Percent Children Under 18
(1984)
National Rank
New York $815,200,000 19% 4,400,000 3
California $596,600,000 14% 6,834,000 1
Michigan $339,600,000 8% 2,469,000 8
Pennsylvania $308,800,000 7% 2,896,000 5
Ohio $211,300,000 5% 2,867,000 6
New Jersey $184,900,000 4% 1,856,000 9
Massachusetts $151,800,000 3.5% 1,365,000 14
Illinois $145,600,000 3.5% 3,101,000 4
Minnesota $110,600,000 2.5% 1,125,000 20
Wisconsin $106,300,000 2.5% 1,274,000 17
Total $2,970,700,000 70%    

The ten highest-spending States accounted for 70% of estimated Child Welfare expenditures in 1985 ($2.97 billion). The next 10 highest States spent 16% of the total or over $680 million. Altogether the top 20 States spent almost $ 3.6 billion or 86% of estimated total Federal, State and local expenditures.

View full report

Preview
Download

"cwsph2.pdf" (pdf, 222.51Kb)

Note: Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®. If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download the latest version of the Reader®