[ Main Page of Report | Contents of Report ]
Overview of Major Federal and State Spending for
Preschool and Child Care Programs
(Funding, in billions)
| ||FY 2003||FY 2004|
|Department of Education(1)||1.7||1.8|
|Department of Health and Human Services(2)|| || |
|CCDF/TANF (State MOE & Match)(4)||3.0||3.0|
| HHS Child Care Subtotal||11.6||11.6|
|Head Start (Federal)||6.7||6.8|
|Estimated State Pre-Kindergarten(5)||2.7||2.7|
|State Supplements to Head Start(5)||0.2||0.2|
|Total Federal and State Spending on Pre-Kindergarten and Child Care(6)||22.9||23.1|
- Based on estimated proportion of pre-kindergarten services provided by each program.
- DHHS expenditures are for children of all ages.
- Includes Child Care Development Fund (CCDF) mandatory and discretionary spending; Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) transfer to CCDF; TANF direct spending; Social Security Block Grant (SSBG).
- Includes CCDF State Maintenance of Effort (MOE) & Match; TANF MOE in excess of CCDF MOE.
- Based on estimates provided by states to the Head Start Bureau. State preK estimates are generally for 2002; assumed constant for 2003 and 2004.
- Total does not include tax expenditures ($3.5 billion estimate in 2003) or the Child and Adult Care Food Program ($1.9 billion estimate for child portion in 2003).
Top of Page
Main Page of Report | Contents of Report
Human Services Policy (HSP)
Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (ASPE)
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)