ASPE’s Office of Health Policy has developed an interactive Medicare Telehealth Trends Dashboard with aggregated Medicare FFS claims from 2019 to 2021. This data may be updated in the future. Users can address their own policy and research questions of interest on Medicare FFS telehealth trends by manipulating charts on the dashboard by beneficiary characteristics, visit specialty – primary care or specialist and whether the primary reason for the visit was for a behavioral health condition, and by state, urban/rural location or health professional shortage area based on where the beneficiary resides. State profiles on telehealth use are also available.
The link to the dashboard is also available on the Telehealth.HHS.gov website.
- Use cases with navigation tips and data interpretation (PDF)
- Dashboard Guidance Document (PDF)
- State Telehealth Profiles (PPT)
- Medicare FFS Telehealth Trends 2019-2021 State Data (Excel)
- Appendix 1 - Telehealth Dashboard Codes
- Updated Medicare FFS Telehealth Trends by Beneficiary Characteristics, Visit Specialty, and State, 2019-2021
*This content is in the process of Section 508 review. If you need immediate assistance accessing this content, please submit a request to Lok Wong Samson, (202) 690-8450, ASPE-Telehealth@hhs.gov. Content will be updated pending the outcome of the Section 508 review.