Office of Health Policy
- The Surgeon General's call to action to prevent and decrease overweight
and obesity 2001. [Rockville, MD]: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services,
Public Health Service, Office of the Surgeon General. 2001.
Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Ogden CL, Johnson CL: Prevalence and trends in
obesity among US adults, 1999-2000. JAMA. 2002;288(14):1723-7.
Ogden CL, Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Johnson CL. Prevalence and trends
in overweight among US children and adolescents, 1999-2000. JAMA.
2002; 288(14): 1728-1732.
Mokdad A, Marks J, Stroup D, Gerberding J. Actual Causes of Death in
the United States, 2000. JAMA. 2004; 291(10): 1238-1245.
HHS/NIDDK. Statistics related to overweight and obesity. NIH
Publication No. 03-4158, July 2003. www.niddk.nih.gov/health/nutrit/pubs/statobes.htm
Videon TM, Manning CK. Influences on adolescent eating patterns: The
importance of family meals. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2003;
Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, Life Sciences
Research Office. Third Report on Nutrition Monitoring in the United
States: Executive Summary. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington,
CDC/NCHS. Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES
III), unpublished data. Available at www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm
Food Institute Report. New products slip a trifle in ’97. Food
Institute Report, 2/2/1998.
Lin, B-H, Frazao E, Guthrie J. Away-From-Home Foods Increasingly
Important to Quality of American Diet. Washington, DC, U.S. Department
of Agriculture, Agriculture Information Bulletin #749. 1999.
Young LR, Nestle M.. The contribution of expanding portion sizes to the
US obesity epidemic. American Journal of Public Health.
2002; 92(2), 246-249.
Nielsen SJ, Popkin, BM. Patterns and trends in food portion sizes, 1977-1998.
JAMA. 2003; 289, 450-453
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National diabetes fact sheet:
general information and national estimates on diabetes in the United States,
2003. Rev. ed. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services,
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2004. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/factsheet.htm.
Report of the Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classification of
Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes Care.1997;20(7):1183-97.
CDC. Diabetes and Women's Health Across the Life Stages: A Public Health
Perspective Fact Sheet. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/women/index.htm
Genuth S, Alberti KG, Bennett P, Buse J, Defronzo R, Kahn R, Kitzmiller
J, Knowler WC, Lebovitz H, Lernmark A, Nathan D, Palmer J, Rizza R, Saudek
C, Shaw J, Steffes M, Stern M, Tuomilehto J, Zimmet P: Follow-up report
on the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2003;26(11):3160-7.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Diabetes Surveillance System.
Atlanta, GA, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Available at
Kenny SJ, Aubert RE, Geiss LS: Prevalence and incidence of non-insulin-dependent
diabetes, in Harris MI, Cowie CC, Stern MP, Boyko EJ, Reiber GE, Bennett
PH (eds): Diabetes in America, 2nd Edition. Bethesda, MD, National Institutes
of Health, 1995, pp 47-68.
Boyle JP, Honeycutt AA, Narayan KM, Hoerger TJ, Geiss LS, Chen H, Thompson
TJ: Projection of diabetes burden through 2050: impact of changing demography
and disease prevalence in the U.S. Diabetes Care. 2001;24(11):1936-40.
Mokdad AH, Ford ES, Bowman BA, Dietz WH, Vinicor F, Bales VS, Marks
JS: Prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and obesity-related health risk factors,
2001. JAMA. 2003;289(1):76-9.
Knowler WC, Saad MF, Pettitt DJ, Nelson RG, Bennett PH: Determinants
of diabetes mellitus in the Pima Indians. Diabetes Care 1993;16(1):216-27.
Mayfield JA, Deb P, Whitecotton L: Work disability and diabetes. Diabetes
- Anderson RN, Minino AM, Hoyert DL, Rosenberg HM: Comparability of cause
of death between ICD-9 and ICD-10: preliminary estimates. Natl Vital Stat
- HHS/AHRQ. National Healthcare Quality Report, 2003. Available at http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/nhqr03/nhqrsum03.htm
- United States Preventive Services Task Force. Guide to Clinical Preventive
Services, Third Edition: Periodic Updates, 2003., Available at http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/3rduspstf/preface.htm.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. 2001 National
Household Survey on Drug Abuse: Trends in Initiation of Substance Abuse.
Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration,
2003. Available at: http://www.samhsa.gov/oas/NHSDA/2k1NHSDA/vol1/Chapter5.htm.
Date of Access: August 26, 2003.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cigarette smoking-attributable
mortality and years of potential life lost — United States, 1990. Morbidity
and Mortality Weekly Report. 1993;42(33):645-8.
- National Health Interview Surveys, 1965,1966, 19701974, 1978, 1979, 1980,
1983, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999,
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Tobacco
Use Among Middle and High School Students—United States, 2002. Morbidity
and Mortality Weekly Report. 2003; 52 (45): 1096-1098.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2003). Results
from the 2002 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: National Findings
(Office of Applied Studies, NHSDA Series H-22, DHHS Publication No. SMA 03–3836).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Annual Smoking-Attributable
Mortality, Years of Potential Life Lost, and Economic Costs --- United States,
1995--1999. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2003; 52(14):
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cigarette smoking among adults—United
States, 2001. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2003a;52(40):953–6.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Annual
Smoking-Attributable Mortality, Years of Potential Life Lost, and Economic
Costs — United States, 1995–1999 Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.
- CDC/National Center for Health Statistics. National Health Interview Survey:
- CDC/National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.
State Highlights 2002: Impact and Opportunity
- Willinger M; Hoffman HJ; Wu K-T; Hou J-R; Kessler RC; Ward SL; Keens TG;
Corwin MJ Factors Associated With the Transition to Nonprone
Sleep Positions of Infants in the United States: The National Infant Sleep
Position Study. JAMA. 1998;280(4):329-35.
- Kirsch IS, Jungeblut A, Jenkins L, Kolstad A. Adult literacy in America:
A first look at the findings of the National Adult Literacy Survey. National
Center for Education Statistics, U.S. Department of Education. 1993. Available
online at http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=93275.
Last viewed March 4, 2004.
- Schillinger D, Grumbach K, Piette J, et al. Association of health literacy
with diabetes outcomes. JAMA. 2002; 288(4):475-82.
- Williams MV, Baker DW, Honig EG, et al. Inadequate literacy is a barrier
to asthma knowledge and self-care. Chest. 1998; 114(4):1008-15.
- Williams MV, Baker DW, Parker RM, et al. Relationship of functional health
literacy to patients’ knowledge of their chronic disease. A study of patients
with hypertension and diabetes. Arch Int Med. 1998; 158(2):166-72.
- Davis TC, Arnold C, Berkel HJ, et al. Knowledge and attitude on screening
mammography among low-literate, low-income women. Cancer.1996; 78(9):1912-20.
- Lindau ST, Tomori C, Lyons T, et al. The association of health literacy
with cervical cancer prevention knowledge and health behaviors in a multiethnic
cohort of women. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 186(5):938-43.
- TenHave TR, Van Horn B, Kumanyika S, et al. Literacy assessment in a cardiovascular
nutrition education setting. Patient Educat Counsel. 1997: 31(2):139-50.
- Arnold CL, Davis TC, Berkel HJ, et al. Smoking status, reading level, and
knowledge of tobacco effects among low-income pregnant women. Prevent Med.
- Baker DW, Gazmararian JA, Williams MV, et al. Functional health literacy
and the risk of hospital admission among Medicare managed care enrollees.
Am J Pub Health. 2002; 92(8):1278-83.
- Baker, DW, Parker RM, Williams MV, et al. Health literacy and the risk
of hospital admission. J Gen Int Med. 1998: 13(12):791-8.
- Baker DW, Parker RM, Williams MV, et al. The relationship of patient reading
ability to self-reported health and use of health services Am J Pub Health.
- Gazmararian JA, Baker DW, Williams MV, et al. Health literacy among Medicare
enrollees in a managed care organization. JAMA. 1999; 281(6):545-51.
- Keck, Buse J, Dagogo-Jack, D'Alessio, Daniels, Sernyak, Wirshing, Wirshing:
Managing Metabolic Concerns in Patients with Severe Mental Illness, Postgraduate
Medicine Special. December, 2003.
- Narrow WE: One-year prevalence of depressive disorders among adults 18
and over in the U.S.: NIMH ECA prospective data, Population estimates based
on U.S. Census estimated residential population age 18 and over on July 1,
- McIntyre RS, Trakas K, Lin D, Balshaw R, Hwang P, Robinson K, Eggleston
A: Risk of weight gain associated with antipsychotic treatment: results from
the Canadian National Outcomes Measurement Study in Schizophrenia. Can
J Psychiatry. 2003;48(10):689-94.
- Murray, Lopez: The Global Burden of Disease, Harvard University Press,
- Regier DA, Narrow WE, Rae DS, Manderscheid RW, Locke BZ, Goodwin FK: The
de facto US mental and addictive disorders service system. Epidemiologic catchment
area prospective 1-year prevalence rates of disorders and services. Arch
- U.S. Census Bureau Website, U.S. Population estimate data from June 2003,
Available at http://www.census.gov/.
- Knowler WC, Barrett-Connor E, Fowler SE, Hamman RF, Lachin JM, Walker EA,
Nathan DM: Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention
or metformin. N Engl J Med. 2002;346(6):393-403.
- The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP): Description of lifestyle intervention.
Diabetes Car. 2002;25(12):2165-71.
- The prevention or delay of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2002;25(4):742-9.
- Herman WH, Brandle M, Zhang P, Williamson DF, Matulik MJ, Ratner RE, Lachin
JM, Engelgau MM: Costs associated with the primary prevention of type 2 diabetes
mellitus in the diabetes prevention program. Diabetes Care. 2003;26(1):36-47.
[ Previous | Table
of Contents ]