Monday, October 21, 2019
Printer Friendly Version in PDF Format (5 PDF pages)
Expanding Access to LTSS through Caregiver Support
Susan Engels, Office Chief, State Unit on Aging
Aging and Long-Term Support Administration
Washington State Department of Social and Health Services
Serving People with Dementia
At DSHS, we make a conscious effort to weave supports for people with dementia and their families into our infrastructure and programs.
Family Caregiver Support Program
- There are over 850,000 unpaid caregivers in Washington state.
- The Family Caregiver Support Program has $14 million in annual funding.
- The program serves less than 1% of the caregivers.
- 53% of caregivers served are caring for individuals with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.
- 32% are caring for individuals with memory or cognitive problems.
|Used Medicaid Long-Term Care services in 12 months following TCARE screen?|
Family Caregiver Support Outcomes
|Source: Bridge Lavelle, PhD; David Mancuso, PhD; Alice Huber, PhD, Barbara E.M. Felver, MES, MPA; DSHS Research and Data Analysis, April 2014.|
Expanding Supports: 1115 Waiver
- Medicaid Alternative Care (MAC). Designed to support unpaid caregivers in continuing to provide quality care.
- Tailored Supports for Older Adults (TSOA). New eligibility group to support individuals who need Long-Term Services and Supports and are at risk of spending down assets to impoverishment with or without unpaid caregivers.
Long-Term Care Trust Act
- All W-2 workers contribute.
- They pay 58 cents per $100 of income.
- The trust fund invests the money.
- Each person who is eligible to receive the benefit can access services and supports costing up to $36,500.
- The value of this benefit will increase over time.
The benefit can be used for a range of services and supports, including:
- Professional care in your home, a licensed residential facility or a nursing facility
- Adaptive equipment and technology like wheelchair ramps and medication reminder devices
- Home safety evaluations
- Special training, consultation, pay and other supports for family caregivers
- Home-delivered meals
- Rides to the doctor
The Long-Term Care Trust will help delay and defer enrollment into Medicaid and the use of costly long-term services and supports.